Monday, July 19, 2010

Just Kidding....

Well, the trip to the hospital is now something we can do in our sleep. Jeffrey and I went back for a third visit last week. I woke up in the middle of the night with severe pain in my lower back on the right side From the previous kidney infection, I knew it had to be something wrong there was only one organ causing my grief. The pain continued and intensified for several hours and then started to progress down and around to my bladder – truly a delightful experience. We eventually called the doctor and headed back to the hospital. Jeff is now a pro at packing our bags. Although I did not have the high fever from my earlier hospital visits, I did finally feel all the "symptoms" of a kidney infection and UTI that I had so pleasantly avoided the previous three months.

I never dreamed we would be returning to the hospital again not in labor! After several tests and a lot of pain, it was determined I had kidney stones, which thankfully all passed by late afternoon. I would not wish that experience on my worst enemy. Fully pumped with fluids, antibiotics, and a clear MRI, I was released after three lovely days on the L&D floor. (I think my total now is seven days.) I would also not wish an MRI on any pregnant woman. Apparently, claustrophobia is one of my pregnancy symptoms, not to mention being on your back for an hour with a massive belly and a child engaged in aerobic activity is less than pleasant. I was trying so hard to be still, but Mattie apparently thought the loud banging sound was the bass to a Fergie song and decided it was time to “get down”.

Although an unpleasant experience, we have much to be thankful for. We have been blessed with some of the most amazing nurses, who not only provided unparallelled care, but answered so many of our pregnancy and deliver questions as well. We now have several favorites from each shift we hope to be with when we deliver. The anxiety of being in the hospital and the majority of the unknowns for the L&D floor are gone, and we have a pretty good understanding of how to survive in the hospital. The question remains, can we do it with a baby? My doctor, whom we love, says after the pain of passing kidney stones, I'm good to go for labor - I will not even need an epidural. HA! Needless to say, I made sure she understood that was not the case, and I would, in fact, like two just to make sure it takes I have discovered the max of my pain threshold and don’t plan to go down that road again.

We are truly grateful to the Lord for keeping Mattie safe throughout all these ordeals. The child has not missed a beat and continues to do very well, especially under the circumstances. We are also thankful to now know what has been going on with me the last few months. The stones are most likely the culprit for the kidney infection and my previous two hospital visits. My dad thinks we should thank Mattie who probably kicked the mess out of the stone to break it up so it could pass. I adore this child, can’t wait to meet her, but I’m not planning to start thanking her for these fabulous pregnancy hospital/pain experiences.

We are also truly grateful for our parents. Mine kept in constant communication with bags packed seeking referrals/advice from every physician in Owensboro. Jeff's came to the rescue once again to take care of Macy and also to be with us some in the hospital. Jeff's dad was awesome helping us understand what was happening clinically, and Jeff's mom even came back to sit with me one day while Jeff went to work. They were great! They, too, now have the “to the hospital” drill down We are so grateful for everyone’s calls, e-mails, and support. Family and friends are truly precious!

Lastly, I must, in writing, express my sincere love and appreciation for my husband. Words cannot express the support, care, and encouragement he provided during this visit and throughout this entire pregnancy. Believe me, this experience was not one of my “finer moments.” He can now put a big check next to the “in sickness,” part. He has held my hand through intensely uncomfortable situations, allowed me to claw and draw blood on his arm, awakened to help me drag my IV pole to the bathroom at all hours of the night, and has since slept on the couch with me to keep me company. He is truly the most wonderful man. I am not sure what I ever did to deserve him, but, Jeffrey, I adore and appreciate you more than you will ever know.

No comments:

Post a Comment